The foundation level provides a first taste of this specific coffee discipline and is a great way to get insight into the professional barista world by learning key skills including espresso preparation, steaming milk, and maintaining a clean bar. The Foundation level requires no previous experience.
Students will learn:
- Workspace Management - learn the tools of the trade and how to minimize waste in order to maximize profits
- Espresso and Milk Preparation - work on top of the line equipment and learn industry best practices and techniques in shot pulling and milk steaming, as well as how to effectively use an espresso grinder and machine.
- Palate Development - learn to speak coffee flavor like a coffee pro using the coffee tasters flavor wheel
- Customer Service - learn the role of the barista within the specialty coffee community and how they effect environment, atmosphere, product and service, ensuring optimal customer experience
- Health, Safety and Hygiene - learn how local laws apply to the safety and hygiene of equipment and cleaning in accordance with manufacturer specifications
- Cleaning, Maintenance and Troubleshooting - gain an understanding for machine maintenance and care and know when service calls are warranted
This one-day course is held from 8:00am to 5:00pm